IRS Identity Theft

Recently many individuals have used other people’s social security numbers to file tax returns, claiming refunds are owed. Typically our clients discovers this when they go to file a tax return and learn that a tax return has already been filed under their social security number. Additionally, some clients learn their social security number has been used because they receive a letter regarding a suspicious tax return being filed. Additional signs include that you now owe additional tax for a year you have not filed a tax return.

When a false return was filed by someone other than you, you are then required to file your return by paper. You are still obligated to pay taxes if you owe them. If you suspect you’re the victim of someone else filing a tax return, you need to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at You should also contact the three credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit. Additionally, you should obtain a free copy of your credit report, and close any accounts that appear to be opened without your permission. Finally, if you receive one of the IRS notices, please bring that notice into us. We will have you complete Form 14039 for the IRS, which is an identity theft affidavit.

Many of the risks of identity theft for tax returns can be reduced by using anti-virus software, strong passwords, by using a firewall, and by not opening emails from unknown places. Avoid giving out personal information over the phone. The IRS does not call to collect. Typically they mail notices to the taxpayer.

If you think you have been the victim of a tax scam, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-3903. Additionally, our firm is happy to assist with any IRS or Indiana Department of Revenue tax issues. To speak to an experienced tax attorney, please call Julie Camden of Camden & Meridew, P.C. at 317-770-0000 or fill out our online contact form.

This website supplies general information about the law but it is provided for informational purposes only. This content does not create an attorney-client relationship and more importantly is not meant to constitute legal advice. You should not act on any of the information contained herein without first consulting an attorney.